Thursday 3 November 2011

Aurora Borealis

I am really pleased. My little girl travelled all the way to Iceland in the hope of seeing the northern lights and she actually got to see them on the first day she was there. I was a bit concerned that as it was a natural phenomenon it might not happen during the four days she’s there, or that it might have been too cloudy to see it. The trip to see the aurora borealis was planned for the second day of her trip but the weather report said that it was going to be a little overcast on that day so it was changed to the first day.

Tracy rang me from Iceland on the second day and told me that the sky was wonderfully clear the previous night, and that they were able to see what they had gone there for. She got to see the northern lights and I think she’ll remember her trip for a long time to come. I am so jealous, but at the same time I am really, really, pleased that she got to see them. The plan for the second afternoon was to go out to sea and do a spot of ‘whale watching’ – she’s certainly having a holiday with a difference, she’ll be having a whale of a time.

When Tracy told me about this trip at the beginning of the year I went through a whole range of emotions. She told me about it just a few weeks after nearly dying from a combination of pneumonia, a chest infection and swine flu. She had been in a coma for two weeks over the Christmas period. She was in the final month of pregnancy and her baby had to be removed from her while she was in a coma. I was a wreck for the whole time, it was the worst period of my life. She was released from hospital on new year’s day and I was just pulling myself together a few weeks later when she hit me with this Iceland trip; I was angry, I was upset, and I was hurt all at the same time, but most of all, I was frightened.

Now that she is actually in Iceland those feelings have subsided and I’m happy that she’s enjoying herself. I’ll feel a lot easier when she’s back at home though. But she has to remember that when she gets back to England she still has to wrap up warm, our winter is just beginning and we don’t want a repeat of last year’s events. I think she knows that I’ll be nagging her for the rest her life that she has to wrap up warm, I don’t care how fed up she gets of me saying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment