Friday 28 October 2011

Wakefield Wanderers

I was a bit disappointed with the 'hole-in-the-wall' at my local supermarket yesterday. I went to the ATM to draw out a bit of cash from my bank but as I didn't need a lot I decided that I should only withdraw £10.00, that would be more than enough to cover what I needed. They've changed the dispensing procedures at the ATM's though and I couldn't withdraw the £10.00 that I wanted. The machine now only gives out £20.00 notes so you have to make your withdrawals in multiples of £20.00; ie. £20.00, £40.00, £60.00 etc. What about the people who don't want to withdraw that much? Do they think we're all rolling in it, or is this just a sneaky government ploy to get people to spend more money? Needless to say, I went elsewhere to get my money.

Wakefield town centre
After I'd eventually got my cash, the three old codgers went on another one of their little 'jollies', but not to Manchester as I mentioned yesterday. It was decided that we would go to an art gallery in Wakefield instead, but we messed up with the timing and didn't get there. We didn't set off till around midday and by the time we'd got to Wakefield, found somewhere for lunch (another Weatherspoons), and then finished our meal, it was coming up to 3.00pm so we decided on leaving the art gallery for another day.

It was the first time that I had ever been to Wakefield town centre and in that one visit I came to the conclusion that Wakefield is much better than Huddersfield. We didn't get to cover the whole town but I think the bit that we saw was bigger than Huddersfield town centre. In Wakefield there were a variety of shops, unlike Huddersfield where every other shop seems to be a charity shop or one of these new style 'Mediterranean' cafes. The whole place seemed a lot cleaner and more pleasing to the eye, and although there were a few vacant shops, it didn't look half as bad as Huddersfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment