Friday 14 October 2011

Going Nowhere Fast

When I walked through my hall I noticed that a small smudge on the mirror that should really be cleaned off. As I started toward the kitchen to get something to clean it with, I noticed the mail on the cabinet that I’d picked up from the doormat earlier (mostly bills). I decided to go through the mail before I cleaned the mirror.

I sorted through the mail I saw there was a lot of junk mail amongst it so I thought I’d put it into the bin, but then I noticed that the bin was full. So I decided to put the bills on the side and take out the rubbish first. Then I thought, if I’m going to take the rubbish out, the post box is just a little way down the road from where the large recycling bin is so I may as well pay the bills while I’m out.

I had to write a cheque for one of the bills so I took my cheque book off the table and saw that there was only one cheque left. My new cheque book was in a drawer in the room and when I went back in there I found the can of Coke that I had been drinking. I was going to look for my cheques, but first I needed to move the Coke aside so that I didn't accidentally knock it over.

I noticed that the Coke was getting warm so I though I'd put it in the fridge to keep it cold. As I headed toward the kitchen with the Coke a vase of flowers on the counter caught my eye - they needed to be watered. I placed the Coke down on the counter, and I discovered my reading glasses that I'd been searching for all morning.

I decided I better put them back on my desk, but first I thought I’d water the flowers. I put the glasses back down on the counter, filled a container with water and suddenly I spotted the TV remote. I realised that tonight when I went to watch TV, I would be looking for the remote, but I wouldn't remember where it was, so I decided to put it back in the room where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I poured some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spilled on to the floor. So, I put the remote back down on the fridge and got some towels to wipe up the spill. Then I headed back into the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the mirror isn't cleaned; the bills aren't paid; there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter; the flowers don't have enough water; there is still only one cheque in my cheque book; and I can't find the TV remote.

Then I try to figure out why nothing got done. I’m entirely baffled, because I know I was busy the entire day.

No comments:

Post a Comment