Tuesday 20 September 2011

Second Call

This blogspot has done what I had hoped. It's taken up a bit more of my time and killed another couple of hours. I came back last night and did a bit more tweaking. This time playing around with different layouts, adding pictures and links, and finding out what I can do with the title bar at the top. I'm happy with how it's turned out so I think I might leave it looking like it is for a while.

I looked at some other people's blogs to see if I could decide what I am supposed to do with mine. Looking at them just made me even more confused though. There are some weird and wonderful pages out there, ranging from "The Life of Worms" and fan sites (or should they be called fan pages?), to people writing their life stories. There are some that have written huge amounts on their blogs. There's so much on their pages - even in one post - that I imagine it would take forever to read. Some of them are so good at putting words on to paper that I think they should consider writing books. Perhaps that is what they are doing.

There are also quite a number of 'family' pages out there. I read a few of the blogs, although it was only bits of them, but it still seemed strange reading about the private lives of complete strangers. Some just write about routine events, perhaps using the blogspot as a daily journal, while others have written about special events in their life, like holidays, or medical events like trips to the hospitals or how a family member is progressing.

I felt uneasy reading some of these pages. It was as if I was prying into their lives when I had no business to do so. But the more I read, the more I thought that the people creating these blogs want the world to know about their private lives. Why would they put so much information out there if they wanted to keep it private? Surely they would have altered their privacy settings if they wanted to keep it to themselves.

So, even after looking at all those sites last night, I am still unsure of how to use these pages or what I should write in them. I think I may have to keep looking at other blogs for inspiration, to try and get a bit of an idea of what I should (or should not) be doing. It may be early days yet, but I have come to the conclusion that what I am writing here is for my eyes only - why on earth would anyone be interested in what I have to say?

Which leads to the question, "Do you WANT people to read what you are writing?" I don't know. I can't think of an answer to that but I'll let you know when I find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment